Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Brittney Griner To The NBA?

While I'm disappointed my Houston homegirl won't be playing for another NCAA women's title this weekend in New Orleans, I'm keenly aware of the fact that Ms. Griner will be the number one draft pick in the WNBA draft and the Phoenix Mercury can't wait until April 15 to call her name.

Interesting news out of Dallas is that Mark Cuban is considering drafting her in the second round for his Dallas Mavericks and if he doesn't,. giving her a tryout for the Mavericks summer league team to see if she can play ball at the professional level with the NBA fellas

"If she is the best on the board, I will take her," Cuban said before the Mavs Tuesday night game against the Los Angeles Lakers. "I've thought about it. I've thought about it already. Would I do it? Right now, I'd lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know unless you give somebody a chance, and it's not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it."





Brittney's intrigued by the idea. "I would hold my own! Lets do it." she wrote on Twitter Tuesday night in response to the Cuban NBA chatter.

You all know of Brittney's awesomeness in the NCAA women's ranks.  She finished as the second all time scorer in the women's collegiate ranks with 3,283 points, blocked 748 shots and threw down 18 dunks with 11 of them happening during her senior year.   She would be the second woman after Ann Meyers to get an NBA tryout.  Meyers was a women's hoops star at UCLA and got a tryout with the Indiana Pacers in 1979.

Can Brittney play with the NBA boys?   And will she hear her name called in the WNBA and NBA drafts?

No comments: