Friday, January 14, 2011

Fiending For Blue Bell Ice Cream In Winter

The temperature in Houston as I write this post is 39 degrees (4 degrees C for my international readers) and I'm happily scarfing up a pint of Blue Bell as I type this. 

Nope, that's not a typo.   Yes, it can get that cold in Houston and yes, I'm eating ice cream in the middle of winter. 

Since they were out of the chocolate chip cookie dough and homemade vanilla pints at the nearby convenience store I had to go to my backup flavor called The Great Divide.     It's homemade vanilla on one side and Dutch chocolate on the other.

And like any Blue Bell ice cream it's good.

If you're wondering why I'm writing a post about ice cream, like any Texan my long love affair with Blue Bell ice cream is throughly documented on this blog.    My mousepad du jour  is the 100th anniversary Blue Bell ice cream one.    

One of the happiest days during my time in Kentucky was the day they started selling my fave ice cream up there.  I even made a trip to Nashville on my birthday in 2007 to catch the traveling Blue Bell exhibit that was motoring around the country during its 100th anniversary year.

The dry rub barbecue I had at Corky's with Dr. Richmond, Dawn and Polar that day wasn't bad either.   

Now that I'm back in the home state, I'm going to have to take that pilgrimage up to the Blue Bell creamery in Brenham just northwest of H-town and do the tour soon.

But back to why I'm eating ice cream in the middle of winter.  I simply had a taste for it and interestingly enough, I seem to eat far more ice cream in the winter months than I do in the summer .     

The fact it goes on two for sales more frequently had nothing to do with it.



No comments: