Saturday, October 23, 2010

How Good Of A Sister Have I Been?

This status message has popped up on a few of my friends and my own Facebook page recently.

This is I LOVE MY SISTER week. If you have a sister who has made you laugh, wiped your tears, hugged you tight, watched you succeed, saw you fail, cheered you on and kept you strong, copy and paste this into your status. Sisters are a promise that we will have a friend forever!!

That comment led me to examine my own sister circles and wonder just how good of a sister have I been to the people who are not only part of my sistahfriend circles, but who have graciously allowed me in theirs?

I've been told on a few occasions by some of  the cis women friends I have in my circles that I have been far more supportive as a transwoman of them at times than their fellow cis women.

On one hand that makes me proud on one level to hear that and shocks and saddens me to hear that on another   On the pride front, it says to me that I'm doing my job in terms of one of my stated goals of being a compliment to the sisterhood and not a detriment to it.

But I'm not going to rest on my laurels either.   There's always room for improvement    I need to do a better job of staying in contact with my sistahgirls, make more time in my schedule to do things with them and call them more frequently, even if I don't do anything except spend five to ten minutes saying 'hello' and 'how was your day?'  

.So how good of a sister have I been?   That's up to my sistahgirls, cis and trans to let me know..  


No comments: