Thursday, September 18, 2008

Miss Me?

Hallelujah! I've got four days off from work, I've got power, and my cable and Internet service are back on and functioning.

So did you miss me loyal TransGriot readers?

Seriously, thanks for all the love, well wishes and prayers you have and continue to send mine, my roomies, and my family's way as we cope with the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.

Just finished talking to my sister in Houston who gave me the latest updates on what's happening in the hometown. I'm also planning to catch up with various peeps back home and see how they're faring like my homegirls Vanessa and Crys.

As I stated in the Whacked By Ike post, I was blessed, but some people are dealing with serious situations up to and including burying loved ones. There are many people who still don't have power. Others who are on government assistance bought their frozen foods for the month only to lose it when the power went down.

You unfortunately have some criminals taking advantage of the situation in blacked out areas of town to rob peeps while others are doing it in broad daylight.

They're called gas station owners.

But while it's a pain in the butt, I have to admit that having everything off for two days allowed me to do as Dr. King would call it, some uninterrupted 'hard, solid thinking' about various issues. It allowed me time to brainstorm and work out the backstory and character sketches for a couple of novel manuscripts and short stories I'm working on. I did some reading during the daylight hours and on my breaks at work, and got to know our neighbors on either side of the house a little better.

Once I sort through my e-mail backlog I'll start getting back to people about the various issues I was juggling prior to the power outage. I still haven't forgotten about Nikki being dissed by our local media.

Latoya, haven't forgotten about the posts I was working on for Racialicious either.


While I was at the library Tuesday enduring a 45 minute wait to get on the computer I'd reserved, I spied the James Carville and Paul Begala book Take It Back on the shelf. I started flipping through it while I was waiting for the kid who was on the computer perusing right-wing websites to get off of it. You know that book went home with me when I was done.

I also sprayed and disinfected the computer to eliminate the right-wing stench before I started compiling my post.

Life is slowly returning back to normal, such as that is. While browsing Borders the other day on my lunch break (I work downtown) perused a few titles that I'll pick up when I get paid.

I also checked out some of the Ryder Cup hoopla that was going on at Fourth Street Live and bumped into a few members of the European Ryder Cup team enjoying a beer on the patio of the Hard Rock Cafe. The Ryder Cup is gearing up to start at Valhalla tomorrow. U of L played and beat K-State last night at The Pizza Palace (aka Papa John's Cardinal Stadium).

Best of all for you peeps who love this blog so much (and I thank you for stopping by TransGriot on the regular and all the link love you lavish on me) you'll start seeing my commentary soon on the various issues of the day.

9 comments:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey Monica!!

Thanks so much for the update!!

It means a lot to hear from you that things are okay! We are all thinking about you all the time.

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

I'm glad you are getting back into the swing of things. I think sometimes slowing down for a minute to think (even when its not self-imposed) helps us go forward and grow better, silver lining chick that I am.

-OG

Jackie said...

So glad everything is OK with you and Dawn. Miss you? Girl, Please. You are the Griot after all. Glad that your peeps in Houston are OK too. Whew. Thanks for the update.

Véro B said...

Of course we missed you! We need our fix. I'm glad you are fine and that things are more or less back to normal.

I wonder if this is another hurricane season when they're run the alphabet. :(

Renee said...

I am so glad to know that you and yours are safe and sound. Take care,

Monica Roberts said...

Thank you all for your prayers, well wishes and expressions of concern for me and my family. Will definitely keep y'all updated since the national media's pretty much moved on from this story.

Veronique,
So far they've only reached 'J' in terms of the named storms.

OG.
hope your family in H-town is doing okay as well. BTW, I feel you about missing home right now.

Jackie, you'll get to see me and Dawn in Chicago in a few weeks. We're coming for the Remenyck Open Fencing tournament in October.

Lisa and Renee,
Thank you ladies.

Véro B said...

I know, Monica, but it's not even the end of September yet. Hurricane season runs through October, if I recall correctly.

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Monica!

I had no idea the weather was so bad there. I swear, depending on the MSM for actual news is a waste of time.

I'm glad you are okay. I missed you and your blog over the past few months. I'll be stopping by often! :)

Monica Roberts said...

MDC,
You're gonna live a long time as our elders say. Before my power went out had a post ready to go called 'Miss You Mes Deux' which expressed how much I and your blog family missed you.

Glad to hear about the positive changes in your life and glad you're back, even if it's only on the comments field on TransGriot and elsewhere.