Saturday, April 05, 2008

'Mom, I Need To Be A Girl' Rereleased

I had the pleasure of meeting 'Just Evelyn' during a 1999 Creating Change conference in Oakland. Evelyn is a determined, single mom of 3 and pioneer of the work that she now does as a TransYouth Family Allies board member and I had a blast talking to this fascinating woman.

She wrote about about her then teenage daughter Danielle in a book entitled, 'Mom, I Need To Be A Girl and how she facilitated Danielle's transition more than ten years ago.

I read her book and for parents and care providers dealing with these issues, or people who simply wish to better educate themselves on these issues, it's a must read tome. Evelyn's common-sense filled book is recommended by TYFA as a must read for parents and young transitioners alike age 9 and up. TYFA also recommends it for the libraries of every care provider who works with children and adolescents with gender identity issues.

I'm happy to note that 'Mom, I Need To Be A Girl' is not only being rereleased, Evelyn will be donating all proceeds for the sale of the book which is available on Amazon.com to TYFA.

If you want to preview it, the book is also on Lynn Conway's website as well in several languages.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear about this. Reading that book helped me come to terms with my own issues back in the day, and had I found it before I came out to my own parents, I'd have really liked to have given it to them.

Monica Roberts said...

Same here, Rebecca.

As I mentioned I've had the pleasure of meeting Evelyn, and we can thank her for writing a book that has helped so many people understand these issues.