Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I Am A Houston Sistah




An MKR Poem

I am a Houston sistah that’s strong, proud and free
I am a Houston sistah that’s as fly as she can be
I am a Houston sistah cognizant of her history
And striving to live up to that powerful legacy

The ’Yellow Rose of Texas’ song is legendary
Cause Emily Morgan’s beauty changed the course of history
She mesmerized Santa Anna, let the historical record show
Just before the decisive battle at San Jacinto

Debbie Allen and Phylicia Rashad are the sistahs that we see
In front and behind the cameras doing quality TV
They both have style and grace, shoot they were born that way
They’re homegirls that grew up in the ward that we know as The Tre’

Barbara Jordan has her roots planted in H-town, too
She moved from Wheatley High school to the campus of TSU
Her distinctive speaking voice rang out so eloquently
On a political journey from the Nickel to DC

There’s another sistah that hails from the 7-1-3
Moved on from teaching ‘cause her heart is grounded spiritually
For this statuesque woman it really ain’t no thang
But people sho’ love to hear Yolanda Adams sang

Oops, there’s another sistah that I almost failed to mention
She has Jay-Z’s and many peeps undivided attention
My comments about sistah girl will definitely be non-malicious
Beyonce Knowles is a beauty that puts the booty in bootylicious

To all the Houston transplants, on y’all I’m not gonna hate
Cause some of y’all weren’t blessed to be born inside of Beltway 8
Mad props to our congresssistah who was born in NYC
What up to the Honorable Sheila Jackson Lee

Before I go gotta send some love the Houston Comets way
The first dynasty that dominated the WNBA
Much love to our evacuee sistahs who are moving here to stay
From New Orleans L-O-U-I-S-I-A-N-A

I am a Houston sistah, too that’s strong, proud and free
I am a Houston sistah that’s as fly as she can be
I am a Houston sistah cognizant of her history
And always striving to live up to this powerful legacy

No comments: