Monday, December 04, 2006

December 2006 TransGriot Column


A Very Democratic Christmas
Copyright 2006, THE LETTER

Merry Christmas dear readers. I’m so happy I feel like singing.

Dems have got the House and Senate
Fa la la la la la la la la
In Da Ville John Yarmuth wins it
Fa la la la la la la la la
Bring home our troops and heal our nation
Fa la la la la la la la la
Time to conduct investigations
Fa la la la la la la la la la


I am ecstatic about last month’s midterm election. For the first time since I left Houston in 2001 a Democrat will represent me in Congress. Congratulations to John Yarmuth for proving that a vision and ideas trump negative ads and truckloads of cash.

The one thing my late grandmother and other senior citizen African-Americans always told me is that if you want fairness, a good economy and a just society, you’d better vote for Democrats. I poo-poohed that notion during my idealistic college days until I came face to face with GOP vote suppression tactics in my home precinct back in November 1984.

My grandmother Tama was right. One of the things that I’ve noticed over my lifetime is that when Republicans take power, American society gets more mean spirited, materialistic, selfish, and militaristic. The bigots feel more comfortable spreading their hatred and attacking people they don’t like. Civil rights get constricted or rolled back. I also noticed the effect on my wallet. I made more money during the Clinton years than in the two periods of my life covered by GOP administrations.

I have been alarmed about the direction that this country has taken under this administration over the last six years. I’m for the deployment of American military muscle when necessary but ONLY after all reasonable diplomatic options have been exhausted. I’m appalled that a war that started based on a lie has resulted in the deaths of 2,800 brave Americans. I am also sick of the GOP using 9-11 as an excuse to attack our constitutional rights. News flash: you can fight terrorism WITHOUT eviscerating the Bill of Rights. I’m a strong believer in checks and balances.

And finally, I’m sick of pseudo Christian gay bashers enshrining their hatred in state constitutions. I was surprised but happy to see that Arizona defeated an anti- marriage equality amendment. I wasn’t happy to see Ward Connerly’s deceptive anti-affirmative action tactics work in Michigan.

Nancy Pelosi will make history on January 3 when she becomes the first female speaker of the House in our country’s history. For the first time in US history people that share my ethnic heritage will chair important committees. John Conyers (D-MI) will head Judiciary. Charles Rangel (D-NY) gets the powerful Ways and Means Committee. Bennie Thompson (D-MS) will head Homeland Security. There is also the possibility that Alcee Hastings (D-FL) may end up as the head of the Intelligence Committee.

The CBC is also pushing to have James Clyburn (D-SC) elected as majority whip, the third highest leadership position in the House. It would be a milestone political accomplishment for an African-American. Speaking of milestone politicians, Deval Patrick became the second African-American elected governor of a US state since Reconstruction when he won in Massachusetts.

But back to Speaker Pelosi (love the sound of that). She has promised in the first 100 hours to pass an increase in the minimum wage, address ‘drain the swamp’ ethics reform on the Hill, promote stem cell research and remove the restrictions that will allow the government to negotiate for cheaper medication prices.

I’d like to see a few other things happen such as restoring the Fairness Doctrine, but I want the Democratic majority in Congress to be around as long as the last one (40 years). It may need that much time to clean up the mess the GOP made while they were misrunning thangs.

I just hope and pray the Dems don’t blow this opportunity. Somehow I don’t think they will.

No comments: